Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The other problem with the 6.5 Creedmoor discussion is many shooters/hunters judge cartridge performance strictly on muzzle velocity, even a gain as little as 50 fps.

Now, no doubt somebody here will claim they see a big difference in another 100 fps of muzzle velocity. If so, I applaud their sensitive perception. But in the real world I can think of several factors that outrank a 100-fps "advantage" in muzzle velocity, including:

1) Widely available, affordable and accurate factory rifles
2) Widely available, affordable and accurate factory ammunition
3) Widely available, affordable and accurate brass and bullets

Just boiling this down to another level, doesn't this make a case for existing cartridges and less fanfare for the 6.5 Creed? A 270. 6.5X55 and many other similar cartridges are only surpassed by intellectual philosophies based on similar differences of opinion.

A shorter action allows about 3 ounces less of metal to be used in the build of the gun and anyone that isn't capable of pulling a bolt all the way back on a 270 sized case vs a 6.5 is really a moot point. So 3 ounces in total weight becomes a factor that really isn't any more of a factor than 100 FPS.

People have also stated, had the 6.5 Creed come out instead of the 30-06 over 100 years ago, we would be better served. I would conclude, we would have been better off with a V-8 motor had it been invented before a 2 cylinder, but it doesn't work that way.

It appears to me that the righteousness of the 6.5 Creedmoor is supported with no more base than those who don't want or like it. I won't be owning one anytime soon, and I doubt anyone that has one is capable of out hunting me or anyone else that hunts with a 270.

Rifle looniism is about a continual exploration of differences in rifles and cartridges, that is a good thing. The 6.5, however, has become a battlefield of intellectual differences more than anything else in recent history and to say marketing and magazine articles haven't contributed to the success of the cartridge is a bit weak.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.