Yeah, the VLD's ogives are usually (not always) too long to tough the lands from factory-standard short magazines. Which is no doubt partly why Berger has newer 140-grain bullets with shorter ogives than the VLD's, but with BC's as good, or even slightly higher. But haven't had any trouble seating other bullets in the 140-grain range to the lands in standard "short" magazines.

On the other hand, I've had several .260's, my latest a Tikka T3 Super Lite. I couldn't even seat Nosler AccuBonds (NOT AccuBond Long Range) bullets out to the lands and have the rounds fit the magazine. And it definitely shot much better with AccuBonds seated to the lands--so I modified the magazine to accept 2.95" rounds. Hard to do that with other factory rifles, though.

It also depends on what you mean by "shoot well." My experience with quite a few .260's and 6.5x55's decidedly mixed, and I've owned both factory and custom rifles in both. But I've now owned four 6.5 Creedmoors, all factory rifles, and the WORST any of them shot, right out of the box, was 5 shots (not three) in an inch at 100 yards.

My first 6.5 Creedmoor's first 5-shot group at 100, with Hornady factory ammo, was around .6 inch. My latest 6.5 Creedmoor's first 5-shot group at 100, with a handload that had done well in other rifles, went .33 inch. Both those groups were shot with out-of-the-box Ruger rifles, the first a Hawkeye and the second a Ruger American Predator.

In fact, the RAR out-shoots both the Tikka .260 and my custom FN Mauser-actioned, Lilja-barreled 6.5x55.
That said, I'm not going to get rid of either the .260 or , because I really like the light weight of the Tikka and the nice European walnut stock on the 6.5x55. (Plus, I got the FN action from my late stepfather-in-law.) I

f I did dispose of any of the three rifles, it would be the RAR, because I am pretty sure it could be replaced with another factory 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots just about as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck