Hi Mule Deer & other rifle fans

I totally agree with what Mule Deer has advised us on concerning the 6.5 CM vs .260 Rem vs 6.5 x 55. I own a 6.5 x 55 CZ 550 and I am totally satisfied. However, if I knew sixteen years ago(when I bought the rifle) what I know now, I would buy the the 6.5 CM. All of the convenient rifle perks are with the 6.5 CM as John Barsness has explained to us. I have mostly used my 6.5 x 55 as a low recoiling ground hog gun, with great success using 100 gr Sierra flat base bullets. The rifle is so long throated that I can just barely seat the 100 gr Sierra flat base bullet deep enough and still get close to the lands to be ground hog accurate. I am a reloader and can make my 6.5 x 55 very accurate. I just received two lbs. of RL22 and will be loading the 140 gr Berger hunting bullets to as much safe velocity as is possible. I hope to get 2900 fps BUT we will see what my Chrony tells me. My CZ 550 barrel is 23.6" long with a 8.6" twist.

I must admit to never shooting any big game with a factory load. When I started shooting at age 10 all of my friends fathers were reloaders. SO, I learned to reload and have done so ever since....... I have only shot one box of factory ammo in my lifetime. I forgot to pick up my ammo when I went hunting and purchased a box of .270 130 gr Winchester Silvertips from a local country store. One shot and Mr. Whitetail Buck did a bang flop. I was getting 7/8 in. groups. TOTALLY GOOD ENOUGH!

I appreciate the advice MD and others have given me on loading the .280 Ack Imp. I had no loading info and this forum gave me a starting point for my son's .280 Ack Imp.

Thanks everyone

roanmtn

Last edited by roanmtn; 12/09/18.

Glenn Campbell