Originally Posted by Mule Deer
HitnRun, " there's no way to produce 6.5x55 factory ammo that will be safe and accurate in every rifle, or to publish handloading data that's safe and accurate in every rifle."

There was an attempt to do this at least in Norway and Sweden and specifically for the Saur 2000 rifle with the 6.5x55 SKAN. It is almost completely dead now and I don't see listed ammunition for it. Previous attempts to standardize Swedish and Norwegian chamber specks were also only partially successful. I think they went with the larger of the two so ammo would be interchangeable.

One thing I like to do is to go to out of the way hardware and general stores and see what types of ammo they carry. I like the stores that have their own butcher shops with dry sausage hanging behind the counter. In this informal survey the 260 is the leader with the 6.5x55 a distant second and only a couple stores had 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. It was right there with the 303 Enfield and 8x57 S Ammo. First person I met who actually shoots the Creedmoor is my plumber. He actually reloads for it even though at his hourly rate he could afford to buy ammo.

I think these "debates" or whatever you want to call them are entertaining but you could easy plug in some other cartridges like the 308. If it had been purpose built say with a 168 VLD almost everything said about the Creedmoor would apply. Almost the same with the 260 but it was designed as a hunting cartridge instead of a target round. Although the original 6.5x308 became popular in the silhouette game.

Last edited by Tejano; 05/14/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli