I picked up the 99R from my FFL a few days ago, and I have to say it's even better than the auction pictures depicted.The first thing I did was give the stock a once over with 0000 wool and mineral spirits to take off any accumulated grime. Sure enough, the very dark red oxidized wood started to show a more orange hue and popped some nice grain.What few marks there are, seem to be from bumps in the safe rather than from hunting use. I took off the fore end stock to check for a serial #, but there was none present. Also, no stamps on the end of the receiver or lever boss. No rust or pitting on the barrel under the stock either. Just a little black, gummy crud that cleaned right off to reveal perfect blueing. I'm thinking, maybe some dried up factory shipping grease.

The blueing on the receiver looks to be less than 100%, but well more than 95% with no rust or pitting. The barrel is even better than that! It has the Lyman rear site filler and there is not even the slightest blemish anywhere to suggest that the rifle was ever fitted with a rear sight or that one was taken off. That area, like the rest of the barrel, is pristine.. The front sight, though not stamped as such, looks exactly like the Lyman my dad put on his Marlin 336RC. That leads me to believe that the Redfield receiver sight is factory original. I'm thinking, if that is the case, this could very well be an RS. I'm thinking that it might just be worth $45 for a Savage letter. I know it's a '50, and not as much info is provided on the post war guns but, hopefully they can tell me whether it's an R or an RS. The crown looks very good also, but the face of the muzzle is white metal, instead of blued. Wondering if that is normal...

Inside the receiver is spotless. No dirt or grime on the end of the chamber area or the bolt and the bolt face doesn't even show the slightest evidence of a cartridge head. All the angled surfaces on the extractor are sharp as a knife and the counter works flawlessly.

I'm at a loss as to why I won this firearm at the price I did. This kind of thing just doesn't happen for me, but I'll take it! Thanks again, S99VG. I owe you one.

I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots. I'll let you know.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 10/29/18.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.