Well, I'm new to the forum but I might as well chime in. I have 2 with another on the way. I don't know how to tell an A from an E or an XYZ but one is a non-tinkered with 300 takedown built around 1930. One is a .358 Timber Rifle. The recoil pad was hard as a brick so I changed it but I kept the old one. The one on the way is a 250-3000. I hope to have it in the safe next week.

The 300 is the one that got me interested in the Model 99s. A girl at my office got fired and called me begging me to buy some of her husband's guns. I agreed before I found out she was fired for stealing the boss blind while he was fighting a serious illness. I bought the 300 from her because it was a takedown rifle and had a tang sight. Shortly thereafter I hurt my back and didn't feel like toting a scoped rifle. I hunted with the old Savage and was hooked. As my back got better over the next few years it became my "office gun." I broke it down and stuck the two halves in the legs of a pair of old blue jeans and put it in the closet at work. (The boss is very cool with it). My hunting lease is 20 minutes from the office. On those days when the phone wouldn't let me get work done I'd grab the jeans ahd head for the woods.

I don't have a clue why I bought the 358 or the 250-3000. I guess that's part of the affliction. I'm thinking about a very gray one in 303 Savage at my local gun shop. They are asking $300. Who knows what I will do about that. Ammo won't be a problem since I roll my own. Guess I got off topic. Sorry about that!