Got another survivor - 1899A, 25" to the receiver ring, rifle butt, straight grip, 30-30. S/N 197xx. Lots of wear, and someone 'bubba'd' the butt. Took off the crescent and trimmed the horns. I'm going to try to repair it (got a crescent plate) as it has a fairly decent aftermarket checkering, with forearm to match.
Have not fired it yet, the cocking indicator doesn't come up. Need to get inside and see why. Question - how does the firing pin attach to the hammer rod? Drawing that I found looks like threaded rather than pinned, and all I find for sale are pinned. also looks like it has a relief to interface with the cocking indicator ? I have not seen any firing pin assy parts for the early model bolt. I got a bolt that is stripped of everything but the cocking indicator, so I have e spare bit if needed.
It does cock and release the firing pin (click), but I want to see what is not working as designed before I shoot it. I am looking to find a 'smith in this area who is familiar with the 1899, but Savages are not very common here in NW Arkansas.
Thanks for any information.

I don't have too many guns, I just need a bigger safe.