Hey gang. Brand new to the forum. Looking at 673 Remington 300 SA SM and decided to cruise for my old favorite 99 and here I am.

I have a 99F in .308 my Dad bought in the mid/late '60s used but as new for $75. Yikes! Had it on the 4-wheeler last deer season here in N. NV and EVERYONE I ran across asked if it was a .300 Savage? Nope, .308. Sweet!

Anyway, it's still in great shape. I put a scope on it for one of Dad's birthdays and I think he was upset but wouldn't say. 4-year WWII New Guinea combat infantry vet didn't need no stinkin' scope. I just took it off last year (Dad's been gone since '96) and went back to the original iron sights. It's still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot.

Only looking at a 300 or such for a bit longer range for elk here in the open country of Nevada. The old 99 has killed plenty of Montana elk and Muleys back in the day and a cow elk two years ago here in Nevada as well as a 4x4 NV muley a few years back.

S/N: 1053xxx Model 99 F

I'll check back in and for sure learn something. All I know is I still love this rifle and will pass it down to grandkids.

Gary

Last edited by XTDUTY; 03/27/09.