Here’s how I look at this clustermess, and that’s the best description for it.
I love guns and shooting as much as anybody, and I’m sure there would be stuff on a movie set I’d be tempted to take out and “play with”. Regardless, I probably wouldn’t, because it just wouldn’t seem right to me. It’d have to be something extra special for me to overcome my own inhibitions.
And if I ever would, you can damn sure bet that it would be treated as one of my own guns. Cleared (checked for loads) when I pick it up, and cleared when I put it down. I was taught this as a boy, it’s part of my personality.
I know nothing about movie sets or what goes on off camera, and I’m betting that a lot of movie types don’t have my background or training. Still, you’d think that if somebody’s taking guns out for a little me time, would damn sure check it before it went back, and wouldn’t take a live round anywhere near the set or the weapons storage.
Evidently someone did, more than once.
I would think that as an armorer, it would be your responsibility to know what’s going on with the weapons you’re responsible for. She didn’t.
I would think that as an assistant director, you would physically clear a weapon before handing I it to an actor and announcing it as such.
Were I an actor, I would still physically clear any weapon given to me, and I would never Point said weapon at another person, let alone pull the damn trigger!
Plenty of blame to go around, and if Ole Alec was supposed to be the guy in charge, (producer) quite te a bit of it is his.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden