Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Even if they were hard core re-enactors with years of firearm experience, you couldn't let them run free on a filming set in regards to ammo/safety...the armorer would be in charge of all of the weapons and ammo/blanks/gunpowder.

That’s what I said. The reenactors do not run free. The production company runs the whole operation. Arrmorers had out the cartridges.

Now remembering this, some reenactors have formed corporate consulting firms strictly to handle many of the facets of the historical context. One of the functions of these consulting firms is the casting and acquisition of historically appropriate reenactors for the time period. When hired by the production company they become contractors for said company. So the consultants become de facto members of the production company.
One of the gentlemen I worked for in the past was Mr. Reilly Flynn. He had a company called Historical Productions. A great fellow. He was the reenacting coordinator for such films as Geronimo, Rough Riders, Two for Texas, and the Patriot. He had a massive coronary and died soon after the Patriot wrapped. It’s quite a stressful job. If you ever watch that Wes Study version of Geronimo he plays the officer who is Gene Hackman’s ( General Crook) aid de camp! Is in several scenes.

Reenactors are a bit different than extras as they are paid not only for their presence, but also for the rental of their clothes, weapons, and accoutrements. As mentioned above, many reenactors are used. But as I stated, all the people present during a particular scene may be common extras. Some reenactors can be present for the entire shoot. Others, Having real jobs may spend a day, or week on the set. Or are able to come back in shifts. Production does try to coordinate all the big shots with as many reenactors as they can get. A good example is in the movie the patriot, most all the british army in the final big scene probably 80% were extras off the street that had been trained in 18th century drill! While the continental forces were 80% reenactors!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/01/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS