Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I've written a number of shows in which good guys and bad guys use guns. But those various shows were set in time periods where the guns would be "cartridge guns." I can't imagine the nightmare for armorers who are dealing with war movies and movies where all the firearms are muzzle loaders. Rockinbar would know. Those would definitely entail massive logistical and safety problems. frown

FWIW.

L.W.

With reenactors on the set,,,,

The armorer and his/ her crew hands out paper cartridges prepared either by them or they are purchased from a firm that mfgs that sort of thing.
Depending on how many are needed for the particular shot. Generally in all the productions I’ve been involved with, we never received more than two ctgs at a time. And its pretty obvious if one has something other than powder in it. Also all cartridge boxes are inspected to assure they are empty of all accoutrements not necessary. And all powder horns ( if carried) are inspected to assure they are empty.
When we shot military style films. We were generally broken down into squads or platoons just like for real. Where we had a squad leader that acted as the go between. Usually someone with lots of production experience. There were also folks who were reenactors who’s only job is to help armorer and FX with safety concerns we also watched out for each other and alerted production staff of those with unsafe habits, acts, or weapons. Turned in several myself who were packing pipe bombs for guns.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/01/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS