It was a partial success, hence no photographs. After doing a little research and being partial to fatty cuts of meat, I went to my local (first class) butcher and bought a 4.5lb cut off the nose, or fattiest part of the brisket.

EDITED TO ADD: Seared the meat in a hot iron pan, two minutes a side.

Set the oven for 200 degrees. Sliced onions and three plums on a whim. Poured a bottle of quality IPA into the turkey pan, stuck a thermometer probe into it and covered it all with foil. Not the way you did it, I confess, so it was not the DVD Way.

Internal temperature went up faster than I anticipated, so I turned down the oven to 180 and let it continue on its way. It was getting pretty close to an internal temp of 180 when I stopped everything at about the 8-hour mark.

Damn, it looked good, but it was nearly 50% pure fat. I had to throw a lot of it away. The meat that was left was tender and it improved with flavor the next day (which I'd heard is typical). Some of the meat, though still delicious with fat, is leaner than the rest, and the fattiest is too fatty even for me.

So, next time, I'll get it cut from the flat and try it again. I've had two great meals and two great sandwiches, and there's more left, but like I say, I threw a huge amount of fat away, and that was money lost.

Overall, I'm pleased, given that I was improvising without adult supervision.

Last edited by tjm10025; 03/26/13.