Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
...changing those minds is a difficult process, so hopefully they are of the harmless variety of believer...

Why do you feel the need to change their minds?

Ed

P.S. It's my bedtime. Catch up with this tomorrow.

If erroneous beliefs inform actions in a way that hurts others, that's a bad thing. I don't limit the line of reasoning to religion, I extend the courtesy of disabusing one's delusions to Marxist, Liberals, opponents of free trade, haters of the .270, those who shoot round nose bullets west of the Mississippi, or like to add heavy metals to their Scotch.

I disagree with drinkers of Budweiser, but understand that matter of personal tastes and preferences, and not one of objective fact. Our ability to makes choices for ourselves is essential to maximizing our own well being, so long as those choices are not causing uncompensated harm to others, nor unintended consequences to yourself or others. If you want to drink Budweiser, that's your choice, but if the follows of the prophet of Leuven (their new headquarters after the Belgium buyout) only vote for political candidates that plan to make me drink Budweiser, well, that's where I have to draw the line.

Many Campfire Christians fall into the "not harmful" category. Others may expect their idea's to be promoted through the political process in a way that may negatively impact others. As an example some Christians believe creationism should be taught in the science class in public school. We also have members here who advocate for instructor lead Christian prayer in taxpayer funded public schools. Both of these positions would adversely impact the freedoms of myself and my family.

There are other long-term secondary effects that concern me. Non-believers are the fastest growing religious identity in the United States, especially among the younger generations. Currently, the Republican party so strongly identifies with the the more staunch portion of the religious right, we are ceding this entire demographic to the Leftist parties. What happens to the future of this nation if the Republican party is not able to make room for this fastest growing demographic within it's ranks?

Take a look at some of the common Christian reactions to atheist here on the fire. Heck JUST LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD, Doc even claims he's not trying to preach, but in the same breath implicitly threatens those who do not believe as he does with an eternity of torture. Not exactly a way to win political converts and influence elections? If the Political right wishes to remain relevant they will need to begin to understand, and adopt to this new reality. Part of that begins with understanding what nons believe, why, and how the affects our voting preferences.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/24/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell