Please do not misconstrue my question, I am not trying to be antagonistic. Moreover, I am not distance shy and as an ex-Army rifle team member, have shot with open irons out to 800m. Nowadays, I am somewhat more conservative (courtesy of improving age) and as a qualified deer stalker, take upwards of 30 deer every year. For this, I use an '06 with quality 8x56 optics and to date, have never felt wanting. However, my shots are all within 250m, which is nonetheless a long shot from field positions. On the range, things are different and I have from the trench, shot my Sako into less than 2" at 300m (Hun's Head) without significant effort. Thus, both man and machine are capable of better.

Therefore, my question is, what type of rest or jig is used to stabilise the truly impressive rifles used in this discipline and above all, what is the reason for shooting at game over such long distances? Whilst I live in a rural county, I cannot imagine an interrupted field of view exceeding 500m, without some obstacle (tree, fence, cows) affecting both safety and placement.

Any help in explaining the why's and wherefore's would be appreciated, as at present, the scale is beyond my meagre comprehension.

Regards,

Jacobite

Last edited by Jacobite; 01/08/07.

Where men are men, as are the women and the sheep are nervous...