Well, first let me say, this thread seams to be antagonistic. I am new to the fire and couldnt help but get involved in this topic because I for one dislike Long range shooting. It probably is bad form to come on here and say anything as the providers of this sight deem it a acceptable enough "sport" to offer it as a catagory in the forum directory.
But that said, I feel the excuse of shooting a deer within proficient weapon range is "boring" and unsporting, unacceptable for rationalizing long range shooting.
In my opinion, the only reason for long range shooting is lack of hunting skills, which should not be confused with shooting skills.
First is the factor of wounding. If you miss, that means the projectile did not go where it was intended. Could be shooter error, or animal movement. Both exagerated at long distance targets. This is not hunting or "sport". It is the difficulties of shooting long ranges.
Second , What is sport? For that mater what is hunting. Is hunting the challenge of beating the game animals senses and getting close enough to kill it? And is sport not the METHOD used to achieve this goal?
Third, where do we as hunters draw the line at weapon technology. When is enough, enough? Would it be challenging to shoot a laser 1000 yards? Or click the shoot button on a remote rifle over the internet?
A picture of the desert is little arguement of why you should shoot 600 yards. The open sage is a defense, just as the deep swamp or dizzying cliffs which our prey have evolved in to survive, and escape predators. Technology can eliminate these obstacles, Yet is it sport to do so ?
I for one have seen the affects of long range shooters. The jaws blown off, legs gone, gut shots and such. Not to start about the attitude of the magnum hunter. Who shoots 600 yards at a elk and proclaims " I musta missed. If this 300 weatherby would have hit him he'd be down." As the gut shot animal walks off unaware a hunter is even in the woods.
If you want the challenge of shooting, why not shoot targets. If you want to hunt , why not try hunting?