Cacciatore,
I could show you some places in Minnesota where you cannot see five feet in front of you and can hardly walk it is so thick.
This is where the big deer go after opening day. I could not even get a pistol through there. So it is better for me to sit on a power line right of way and shoot at them as they go across. I learned this from my father-in-law. These deer are usually walking but sometimes running. I am not fast enough to hit the running ones because the right of way is not very wide.
I have made shots that infuriate my brother in law because he say it is to far. (I made the shot though)
He has a cheap rifle and a cheap scope and he never practices.
So it is to far for him.
I have a custom barrel on a Model 70 with a target scope on it.
I have put many rounds through it at measured distances and I know the trajectory. I only take shots that I am confident that I can make. They have not all been clean kills but taking shots at 50 yards in the swamps at alerted and running deer would not all be clean kills either. Somebody tell me how you can be certain that every bullet goes as planned when there are trees in the way and the deer can move at any instant. If it isn't moving already. My brother in law and I have almost gotten into a fist fight over this several times. He came really close to losing it one year when I paced off a kill at only 225 paces?
We had a lady miss a deer at 20 feet this year with her 30-30.
A friend of his I might add. I took one at 300 this year. It was
the only shot I had all season. For me that was a long shot but I don't have a problem with the guys on this board if they take shots at twice that distance, more power to them.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.