and 1 other thing, if you've never tried to get the rifle on a buck chasing does at 500 yds, try it, see how unsporting it can be? I know this, in the last 30 years of the hundreds of deer I've taken at under 100 yds, the percentage that gets away if I decide I want them is less than .01 percent, at 500 yds at least 50-60 percent will walk away before you get set up to shoot, another 25-30 percent will not offer a high percentage shot so 85% of the deer you want to harvest at mid-range will just walk out of sight. In my hunting area I may have a window of about 20-30 yds which the deer must stop in, clear of brush and twigs for me to attempt a shot. In my extended range hunting I've shot 22 deer beyond 375 yds, of those there wasn't 1 non fatal hit, and there was a total of 1 clean miss.
While your in the woods honing your hunting skills I'm at the range doing what I enjoy, doing the part of hunting I do best. All hunting involves shooting, I just shoot farther than most, why? because I've developed hereditary hearing loss, I'm 78% deaf, I can't hear a deer walking in the leaves more than 15 yds, how much chance would you have of getting set up to shoot if you didn't know the game was there till they were 45 ft from you?
Game uses they're best defense to keep them alive, predators use they're keen senses and best abilities to take they're prey, I am a predator and I use what I have to make the most of my "hunting" yes it is hunting. different from yours but its still hunting. You say its just shooting, I challenge you, hunt in the wooded ridges around here (eastern wv) take a deer at 700 yds and tell me its just shooting!
RR
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)