Allen

Sniper school shooters are not nearly as good as a well trained long range shooter. I've seen them come over from sniper to the marksmanship units, while good, they are not great. Great takes years. Just like hunting.
Plus their training, is day in day out, all day, which is only relative to hours, IE no one I know of could "hunt for 6 months straight trying to learn, and if they could, well they'd be pretty good. I guided for almost 2.5 months, every day, for a few years, I'd be a bit rusty but by Jan 1, I could walk around and get up within bow range of deer pretty easy. BTW I've talked to marksmanship unit shooters of equal or better shooting skill than I have, that have gone to sniper school. Backing this up, the accuracy requirements are not that great. IE simple for them to pass. Other field crafts in the course, depending on their background, differ.

Cacciatore
I'd personally have taken a closer shot also, but I have no issue with the shot not being there but waiting till it is, I recently let a doe go, had her well under 200, but by the time the shot was right she was close to 300. Had to change the mentality from head to body shot though due to terrain messing with my position.
I think you are mistaken about the almost every shot issue on a clay also. Clay is the size of a heart. If he'd have said almost every on a 12 inch steel, thats another situation. I also don't think some folks understand how still and stable practiced shooters are. I've been put on a laser trainer prone wiht a sling and iron sights-- my wobble is just under .5 moa. With bipod or better yet backpack its under that. Thinking to what I've seen on ranges on sight in day again.... Folks sighting in and happy to keep the shots on a paper plate or beer flat at 100 off BAGS!! And they actually shoot AT deer.....

Regards, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....