bushcraft,

Your analogy is weak at best....

The sniper course while difficult and challenging is not all based on accuracy. Shooting is only one requirement to pass the course. Remmber the weapons they use are built by master armorers and are capable of holding a required 1 MOA typically better. However, they are using factory match ammo while good not the best.
LrHunters are using custom rifles built for the purpose and using handloaded ammo that has been tuned, fine tuned and retuned, to achiee optimum accuracy.
To be an accomplished LRhunter you need years of practice in all types of situations and conditions.
So easily does the ignorant public view LRhunting as buying the biggest magnum you can and sitting upon a hilltop trying to throw lead as far as you can.
Years are spent understanding and learning ballistics and how it affects bullet flight and the charactieristics of downrange perfomance. No easy task and there is new information all the time. I will easily go on record and say most LRhunters are as accomplished as any SRhunter. More often that not have a better understanding and put to use a practical application for true bullet perfomance and ballistics than most SRhunters.
I will also go on record and say most LRhunters spend way more time yanking triggers and fine tunig their shooting techniques and skill than most if not all SRhunters. I have met very few ( keep in mind I have guided for years and now own an oufitting business )SRhunters that have an understanding of what a bullet does past 300 yards and very little if any idea what ballistics are and how a rifle and it's components really work together to achieve accuracy.
You call it what you will Shooting or Hunting.
I will go again, on record and say that most if not all the LRhunting friends I have spend just as much time afield scouting and paterning/learning the habits of their intended quary as any other type of hunter. Again we just don't go look for the spot with the best vantage point.
Ignorance is bliss...
maybe you and a few others should take some tme a get to know a LRhunter. You might just find we have more in common with the SRhunter than you think.