Bushcraft

The only thing I take exception to, is that you can buy accuracy. Yes you can. But the SKILL to be able to shoot and be 150% sure of your first shot kill, that took me years and years of competition shooting. Its much more difficult than learning to sneak into a deers bedroom and smack em.

I started being a 100-200 yard shooter. Then as I started shooting I"d stretch to 300, but along the way I was realizing that at 300 yards in a match, I could miss a change and miss the center by 5-6 inches(really usually ok on game though) BUT not making me happy. I started match shooting in 91. It was not until about 96-98 that I was totally confident in being able to lay down, look at it all and dump a center shot cold bore at beyond 300 yards. And its progressed to where I can do it at 600 every time too(somewhat weather dependant and thats why I decline some shots, much as mentioned about a close buck, but not 150% sure of the shot, I"ve let em walk under 100 yards for similar reasons)

Now I do totally agree on idiots "skyblasting" Those same idiots are usually as dangerous at 100 or 200 as they are at long range, and more than likely more dangerous up close as further out most don't even come close to game. IE not even within feet....

I do not suggest and never have, than anyone push their known limits. Though thats done all the time by what I consider short range shooters.

My solution, but folks hate it generally, is to qualify on a range. Even if its off a benchrest, but prefer a field shooting test. Cost prohibitive, but it would sure place folks where they need to be.

I"ve mentioned before that I quit a great guiding job because I wanted to make folks "qualify" on a paper plate for those that wanted to hunt the stands with 300 yard plus oats patches opportunities. Have seen enough wounded deer from 250-400 yard (mid range) shots that aggravate me.

So yep, I'm wishy washy in a way, but those that choose and do the work for mid range or longer shots, and are qualified to take those shots, they put in much more time each year than most normal hunters do. Won't argue that its shooting vs stalking, but then again you state that sitting isn't "hunting" to you either. So we are on the same tune, just a different page.

Call it what you wish, but the skill level for long shots is way beyond the skill to get within 100 yards of any animal that I've ever hunted.

BTW why do I take long shots? Sometimes for the challenge, often its whats offered at that moment in time or nothing, and its something that I want, yet that doesn't mean I take every long animal I see. I prefer to go to the table with a loaded deck if you will. If that deck deals me a short shot, great, if not...... well there is my sig line....

Regards, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....