It is interesting that none of you long range shooters have made a point of why you should shoot so far. Other than you can and its legal.
You state it is more challenging? To emphasize the shot on a live animal as the basis of the challenge or sport is ridiculous. If the possibility of a miss is sporting or challenge I have been taught wrong! I was under the impression you should not shoot unless you are certian . If you consider getting within 500 yards of game a challenge, I am confused, as it is easily posible to walk in open veiw of game within that range. Even drive a vehicle. Yet you chastise one for shooting moving game, Your reasoning of the possibility of a miss being sport, would lend itself entirely to shooting only moving game as a sport or challenge.
If you want a shooting challenge, why not try a 30 yard shot on a charging bear? Or limit your weapon to open sights, etc...
So It goes that a 800 yard shot is a gimmi? easy table fare? what next, farther. Or possibly of hand, maybe you could miss that way and it would be more sporting?
Sorry your bucket dont hold water!
And would you stop with the bs about more game being wounded close, It is unsupported dribble. Heck more left hand shooters wound game! (I have no Idea, but same bs).
Long range shooting is nothing more than a way to kill more game with less hunting.( time spent getting close to game).
Im tired of arguing with you guys, Have fun. Heck its legal. Laws are funny things. Just ask OJ.