Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
the doe which I shot at 532 yds, yes I could have taken a closer shot, but chose not to, with that rifle, I can hit a 4" circle just about everyshot at 700 yds,
RR

I don't understand the statement "I coud have taken a closer shot, but chose not to" especially followed by "just about every shot."

What I hear is that there is a chance that you are going to be a bit off target and yet you passed on the closer shot and therefore increased the risk of wounding an animal.

I don't disagree with long range hunting. I understand that there are situations due to terrain and what not that make it the only option. I am neither saying that I wouldn't take a long shot if I needed to.

I have said it before. I understand enjoying challenges. I don't understand why one would pass on the closer more certain shot intentionally increasing the chances of wounding an animal.

We have all been through the capabilities of some of the shooters/hunters on here. I don't want to go down that road again. I agree it is some amazing stuff.
My question has only been about why pass on the close one to intentionally increase the risk of wounding.

I would venture to guess that if it were a buck of a lifetime, you would have thrown lead at the first chance. That must mean that it is ok to increase the chance of missing/wounding a doe.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.