Hi Buffalobob,

Stalking is very challenging, I would say. One has to use fieldcraft and stealth to move into close quarters, select the target beast and despatch it cleanly. Over here, things are stringently controlled, in terms of game management, firearms ownership and above all, health & hygiene and thus, precision is the absolute rule. Do I get a "buzz" from squeezing a trigger? Not really. However, I do get a rush having stalked a hind and her calf to within a few yards and observing Mother Nature at work or better still, having a roe buck come to within 5 paces of me without being compromised. That is my motivation. As for the numbers game, it is a case of managing the population on my lands, as if I were to fail to do so, nutritional stress and over-population could weaken the herd and threaten its long-term survival. This is a balancing act at best, one I struggle with each year.

As to long-range shooting, I can see its role within a park setting from a high seat or hide with a stable platform, when a given cull must be achieved. I've done it, but it equates to nothing more than deer sniping and can be very effective, if time is of the essence. Notably, it is illegal in this country to shoot deer from a vehicle, period. Therefore, we have to get "out there", which clearly can go one of two ways: correctly or tits up. Either way, it is a joy to be in the open and like you, I am happy, even if I have passed up a shot or indeed, seen nothing but trees. There's always tomorrow...

Thanks and regards,

Jacobite

Where men are men, as are the women and the sheep are nervous...