I think some of the others have hit it on the head. "Long range" means different things to different people depending on their skill level. I too have seen people who don't have any business shooting at game at even 50 yards, such as the fellow in WY on an antelope hunt who couldn't hit a doe standing broadside at about 50 yards resting his rifle on a truck hood. He missed shot after shot at game, thankfully not wounding any by some miracle. His shooting form was terrible and I wonder if his scope was even zeroed.
I have personally taken game out to 500 yards. Most of my deer, however, have been shot at 50-80 yards and I have also taken 20 or so deer with a bow. I don't feel that I should have to justify my taking of a "long" shot when I am sure of the range and the trajectory of my rifle and am in a steady shooting position.
Three years ago I passed up a shot at what would have been the largest buck I have ever taken, an 8 pt whitetail that probably would score around 140". A magnificent mature animal. He was standing broadside at 275 yards but some high grass prevented me from assuming a steady prone or sitting position (believe me I tried!). My crosshairs wobbled on and off him and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger and risk wounding him. I had to watch him just walk off. Under those circumstances 275 yards was way too far for me to make a precise shot. Had I been in prone position with no grass in the way I could have almost certainly placed my bullet within an inch or two of my aiming point at that distance.
I guess my point is that we should all try to be as proficient with our equipment as possible so that we can take advantage of the shot opportunities that our hunting skill such as it is presents us. Some guys have no business taking a 50 yard shot and some guys can make a sure shot at 500 yards nearly 100% of the time. Which one is the unethical shot? I say to each his own, just know your limitations and be responsible.
I hope everyone has a fun and successful hunting season this year.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5