Jacobite

Nope you didn't start anything, as mentioned by others. We do this and many other things now and again.

I'd like to offer a bit more info as you requested. First off what is long to some is not to others. By target shooting definition here in the US long starts at 800. 600 is mid range. FYI.

How do I rest the rifle? For a longer shot its almost always prone over a pack. Much the same as I shoot my 50, prone over a pack. I don't care for a bipod.
How do they hold? Very well actually, with a laser setup and me holding an AR by sling prone, my wobble is under 0.5 moa. Over a pack its less than that by far.
Wind-- yes it is a factor. But in a medium weight gun, say 10 pounds or less all up, you can have some flat wind resistant cartridges that help a LOT. IE you are used to dinging NATO rounds downrange at long range. I know well because all I shoot in competition is the AR15 in 223 out to 1000 yards. But that round is very similar in ballistics to a 308 round to 1000. Now you may have been exposed to some flatter rounds but normally not.
Compare this with flat rounds used in hunting and the wind is a bit easier to master.
That added with the fact that if you take time to watch mirage I can see any change in speed that is 1mph or more. Coupled with a few other gadgets you have some failsafes. And then add in the fact that you already know what terrain features between you and the target are going to do to the wind, you know exactly what direction its coming from (hence its value) and the simple fact you can focus on each feature per yardage and see exactly what the wind is doing on this knoll, that gully etc...... It takes much more experience than most are willing to put in, but it is very much something that can be conquered.
Thats also figuring that better round, IE BC of between 5 and 6, and a MV of more than likely 3200 plus FPS helps a lot again. Then figure what difference 1 mph of differing wind speed makes and you can see it is possible to be very deadly on a tiny target out to a mid range shot. IE most consider 500 and 600 stretching it, those shots, especially done with a scope(I'm an iron sight service rifle shooter) to keep tabs on things, well lets just say it would surprise me severely to be off more than say 3-5 inches impact wise.

But again, we are talking extremely advanced. If you want to talk true long range, I"m fairly sure we are dealing with 35 pound guns on solid benches and rests..... Guns that have really fast bullets in the BC area of 7 and above. I know that for a true long shot I"d rely much on my 50 instead of other available rounds.

Regards, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....