Guys,

I apologise for starting a schitt-storm (couldn't resist the spelling on that one - bravo!), as that was not my intention at all. Alas, I am on business in Italy, so my opportunity to access the Net has been limited, hence the all-quiet. However, the debate is wonderful, allowing concepts to be developed and real-time experience to be shared. Thank you.

To establish some facts, I was not actually a sniper, merely an Army Officer (Captain in the Royal Engineers, commando and diver trained). I shot both pistol and service rifle internationally - no biggy really. However, during my training period, the last 30 years and still learning, I have come to fear one thing at distance, the wind. I'm no Sgt Hathcock, but from the books I have read, even he had respect for this particular factor. I can readily interpret ballistic and trajectory tables, but even with a wind-watch and LRF to confirm matters, it remains a variable nonetheless. Ergo, there must be a "risk" on-game, one which I personally, could not afford to take. Hence, my initial question, how is a LR rifle mounted? I can only assume in a solid jig, allowing the dial-ins to be made from a fixed datum. I would love to know.

As was stated earlier, I understand that it is a case for horses for courses, as the desert photo demonstrates admirably. The European scene is clearly different, but our POA options are further restricted by legislation and food standards, these being: heart/lung, head, high and low neck only. Quartering shots have to be weighed up, as any penetration of the diaphragm and thereby, rupture of the rumen, renders the carcass as "contaminated" and subject to destruction (burial). Therefore, we have to use our rifles like a surgeon's knife; I prefer a high heart shot to sever the pulmonary artery and aorta. One thing is certain, nothing up the arse - we leave that to our politicians!

Accordingly, as our wonderful weather demands, the gear we typically use is of the highest quality. My money is only spent on Sako, Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski - others may have different brand preference. Nonetheless, the rifle must work at dusk and dawn, rain or shine, without compromise; the first shot must be terminal. As for Goretex, it is a non-starter, as it swishes and tears easily on barbed wire. Thus, heavy cotton moleskin, wool, Deertex jacket and Ljundhag boots for me. We also use dogs track a wounded beast (a no-no in the States, I understand), but law in most European States demands that a dog must be available within 20 minutes' notice. To date, I have never needed my lab to assist, but he is asleep in the truck, just in case.

That's the situation, more or less, for deer. However, the hunting banner covers many topics and species. Now, call me a hypocrite, but I have shot foxes at dawn at over 400 yards off a fence post. In these parts, it would be considered rude no to do so!

Thanks for your contributions and fair-play throughout.

Regards,

Jacobite

Where men are men, as are the women and the sheep are nervous...