I hear your arguement that long range shooting is what makes the difference of GETTING that trophy of a lifetime.
So Youve climbed the mountain, braved the cliffs, scanned the hills and worked to find that old magnificent goat. Finally he is spotted. Laying in a saddle, Not bedded there by chance he has found a refuge. As he lays rechewing his cud of hard earned forage, he relaxes, Yet still vigilant of aproach. He knows if anything appears within a couple hundred yards he can escape. Hard earned safety. This is how he has become YOUR trophy of a lifetime.
As you and your guide look upon him thru magnification, you judge he is truely magnificent. But there is no aproach.You will have to wait him out, hope to make the right stalk or just have to wait till tommorrow. But wait. You pull out your range finder. He is 495 yards. With your balistic table in your head you quickly access your hold.Resting your weapon on your packs. wedging it in where its steady, You even dry fire a shot, to practice. The click of the firing pin seems deafening in the wilderness silence. But at 500 yards Old long beard hears nothing.
So YOu chamber a round, and breath out slowly, pressing with the tip of your finger, the rifle suprises you as it goes of, a clean shot, And within a instant you have degraded a cunning advisary to nothing more than a long range target.
Congrats on the trophy.
Welp, Its seems you guys are correct. You are elites . Marksmen well practiced and deadly .You CAN shoot 500 plus yards so you SHOULD.
Heck its legal so its OK.
That should be what we live our lives by. Just like lawyers!!!
All this boils down to is technology expanding the range of killing. Making it easier to kill. Dont bother with your expert shooting stuff, pulling the trigger can be mastered at the range. getting within the safety zone of a game animal or stalking as you call it ,takes practice in the feild,I am talking about the zone which he can smell ,hear, see and sense you. not 500 yards.I dont get how you continue to assume I cannot shoot. I have shot game way out there. I do not brag about it because I am not proud of it. I was wrong for taking the chance of wounding, I know that.
All things aside. What you are missing, Is it is not the anti nuts who will see this debate or your shooting and be upset and decide hunting is unfair. They beleive any killing is wrong and they are fruitier than my kids breakfast cereal.
But Joe and Jane public, who happen to turn on the outdoor channel and see this sniping of game that are oblivious to being pursued as unsporting, unfair and unethical. And those my friend are who will take your hunting rights away. With out the mainstream vote the peta groups are ineffective .
To quote capstick. He is speaking of elephant but he is also speaking of the self imposed rules of the hunt.Which some of us put upon ourselves. He says.
"So it is with elephants. Or lions. Or brown trout on the dry fly. Just as a man man indeed slaughter an elephant from a safe distance,he may also HUNT a particular one under a code of rules that is part of the same ethic that forbids passing signals to a partner at bridge, shooting sitting ducks or using night crawlers in a fly-only trout stream." What he is speaking of is putting his life on the line, Not mearly obtaining the TROPHY of a lifetime.
In closing i surrender. You win. All this debate is unhealthy. Im going hunting.

Last edited by safari_hound; 01/23/07.