Originally Posted by Cacciatore
Pop,
Don't the "up to" and the "as deep as" concern you about this bullet on big game?
To me they mean that they were able to achieve these depths with a very small sample during tests.....we use the same crap at work.
So if my assumption is correct, that bullet would generally start losing that 80-90% of it weight much earlier than 3". If this is the case, it sure as heck isn't going 18" deep (which isn't a heck of a lot of penetration even on its best day).
Again, in my opinion from seeing the "up to 3"" and "as deep as 18"", it tells me that if I hit an adult bull elk rib (which is pretty tough), that this bullet is going to be in bits just a couple inches inside that animal. It may be enough to kill it anyway, but I don't get the warm and fuzzies from it.
I know you guys are remarkable marksmen and you can tell me that you avoid hitting the front shoulder, but don't tell me that you are able to consistently shoot between ribs.

I personally love finding my bullet just inside the hide on the far side or better yet a small entrance hole and a huge exit hole. My last elk had a big chunk of rib sticking out a large hole on the back side......to me that is a good bullet.

Yes they bug the heck out of me. Check out this group.

200 grain Accubond (.588 BC!) from a 300 RUM at MV of 3165 fps (95 gr Retumbo). This is a 300 yard group that measures .675". Yes 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

Most of my "long range" rigs shoot like this, or close to it with premiums! And this is what I do not understand.
1. How much tighter can this group get with match bullets? and even if it does get smaller does it really make a difference?

2. Are you willing to give up Accubond performace just to use a MK? Not me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]