Whelen

IF I dinged the 7mm, its only some reference to the rem mag version throwing a flier now and again at 1000 yards, such that it was not explainable and after talking with a LOT of 1000 yard competitors the consensus is the 7mm wasn't quite tehre, go 6.5 or 30 cal. for highpower.

That being said, I'd be totally happy to 600 with a 308. So no reason not to use your gun. I would be thinking just like you. 160 or 150 tsx/x type bullet. I've seen more than 1 elk dumped at over 40 with 140 x bullets from 7 mags... they work good enough.

I think you are set, I'd worry about the load and drift/drop charts and pratice. And a rangefinder/wind speed meter and practice.... You should be set. Be aware I'd doubt you'll get more than 1500 rounds of barrel life from the big seven. but IMHO you need to burn a barrel or two anyway till you really learn some things.... depending on your background...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....