Cacc

Sounds like a setup to me....But I'll bite. Personally a moderate to gusty wind and I'm out on an 800 yard shot.

Groups you see at 1000 are WAY different than at 800 or under. In fact there is a large difference for each 100 yards the further out you get.

What you see on groups that are small but a foot off are at least 1000 yards, have a certain short time limit in which to be fired and you just have to make do.

Reverse that to a game shot, you have all the time in the world and if it walks off, so be it. You can work and adapt it and get the first shot right or know that it has to be passed.

Sometimes we get mixed up with those that specifically seek out all long range shots. And thats fine with me. I happen to know where my limits currently are and abide by them.

As mentioned through this whole thread, not that I really care as I'm always 150% sure before I shoot, the true slobs are short range shooters and always will be by default. Until you force folks to qualify on a target before getting a license this will not change. And even if taht law would come(I'd totally endorse the heck out of it, even though the parameters would probably be such that most LR shooters could make it on their heads on the wrong hand, blind folded...and probably a fair amount would never pass it....) it still won't make it illegal to take a shot less than 100%. Thats up to each individual.

How one can predict that any shot is moer or less dangerous than another, up to a point, is beyond me. I've seen alert deer bound and run instantly taht would result in bad hits or misses from well inside 100, have seen non alert deer do it too. One can only do the very best they can, within their capabilities and self imposed limits. They have to live with the results of their actions(my only loss being a shot under 70 yards at what I thought was a wide open deer, only to expand a bullet on a vine I never saw and hit the deer with frags only, breaking a lower leg only.... ask me how-- wife and I trailed it for over 5 hours never getting a clear shot to finish it, very evident about the hit though- and even that one I dnot' think the deer ever died...) I know its tough to loose one. Hope it never happens again.

Personally I suspect my ethics of what it takes to shoot, are far above and beyond the majority of other hunters.

Regardless of if anyone thinks its hunting or shooting.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....