All this talk about hunting in wyoming at high elevation and ruggedness,and need for long range shooting,is a joke. Unlike you rick I'm actually from wyoming not pennsylvania.

I've hunted the North and South Fork numerous times,along with all kinds of other areas in wyoming. The only reason to take a shot over 500 yards(in alot of cases 300 yards),is because to get closer would mean actually hunting the animal. Along with alot of arse breaking effort to cover terrain and run the risk of scaring the animal. This is fully acceptable to the slob that must kill something regardless of possible outcome.

When you're hunting at 9000 feet,most of the hunt is spent getting to that elevation. Most people are burned out by then and the use of long shots on animals, tends to simply matters,that is if they actually connect on the animal with a killing shot.. This is especially true when you're a halfassed outfitter or guide,who is trying to get some east or west coast slob in position for a shot at a game animal. Getting any closer(you know actually hunting) would mean stumbling around,out of breath and whining. The long shot is a band aid in this case.

The only thing that long range shooting of big game animals is,is shooting. Its not hunting,if you were hunting you'd have been closer. I've killed a number of elk,deer and antelope at over 500 yards. I've never been able to confuse this with actual hunting.