Great post Jeff, you said it all right there. Life everything else in life, LR shooting included "stay within your abilities" If this is done nobody, not nobody has any right complaining about anyone.
Those who say "there's a chance something will go wrong" Well thats BS, anytime you push the safety off something can go wrong. Those of us who shoot LR know that our equipment is thouroughly tested and we practice more than anyone else so who has the most chance of something going wrong?
are more deer wounded at less than 200 yards than beyond 500? You know that there is.
The actualy hunting bit, I'm not buying it, The ridge that I hunted over last year would have been much simpler to put a treestand up and take 50-60 yard shots, but I chose not to, not a challenge there, if you know how to deer hunt or whatever, both of the tactics discussed here are sporting, hell anyone who knows and understands the game they seek can place themselves within the magical 100 yd range. So do you place yourself in position to get the 50 yd pretty sunday shot so you can come on to people who prefer another method and start the "holier than thou" routine, or to you put your skills and abilities with a rifle, your knoledge of ballistics, your days of practice to use? Who made it they're priority to ? my ethics? Do I ? they'res?
Oh and the capstick bit was awe inspiring, till I remembered he used to either pick off babboons at 400-500 yds with his 375 H&H or mow them down with a mac 10 submachine gun.
So is he a hunter? or a shooter?
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)