Originally Posted by baldhunter
The 30-06 is obsolete because there are so many cartridges that are better.............Which ones are better???????

Depending on the intended usage, a good argument could be made for almost every currently produced, non-.30-06 cartridge being "better".

It is also hard to argue that, for the one rifle hunter, any other cartridge is as versatile and available as the .30-06. That is why I give them to my sons-in-law as wedding presents.

For antelope, some in my extended family, including myself, will continue to use my .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 6.5-06AI and .280 Rem. Daughter #1 has her own 308 Win and it works quite well with 130g TTSX. My sons-in-law will continue to use their .30-06 rifles. Come time for elk, my group tends to go .280 and bigger. This year, for example, I expect the .30-06 to be the most used. In addition I expect at least one each .308 Win, 7mm RM and .300 WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.