Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Hodgdon data is not very good - they have lots of pressure errors for starters. The real gap with the best powders at SAAMI max pressure is often less than 100 ft/s depending on bullet. That won't get you 100y.

The .30-06 can of course be improved by increasing the pressure IF the brass you're using is designed for over-pressure use. With the right brass you could probably run it at 65K in certain guns (.308 too). Problem is, as far as I know no one makes that brass.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it only makes sens to create all cases based on the .30-06 to the same standard. The reason is that up to the pinch trim, where cases are cut to length, the manufacturing process is the same and the blanks can be sued for any .30-06 based cartridge. It is only after the pinch trim that the cases get headstamped and necked down. Using a common case provides manufacturing flexibility. To do otherwise incurs significant unnecessary inventory expense and other problems. You may prefer to think manufacturers are idiots, I don't. I'd bet good money the 63,000 PSI .25-06, 65,000 PSI .270 Win, 60,000 PSI .280 Rem, 65,000 PSI .280 Ackley, 60,000 PSI .30-06, 62,000 PSI .35 Whelen cases all use the same pinch trimmed blanks for any manufacturer that makes multiple cartrdiges based on the .30-06.

As far as I know, no one makes separate blanks for each cartridge.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.