Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You say you've taked most of your game with a 7mm RM and 175g loads. A .30-06/180g load comes closer to matching that than a .308 Win can do.

Neither gets particularly close to duplicating what a 7RM 175 can do. It's got a .310 sectional density. To duplicate that, a .308" requires a 206gr bullet. There are essentially no .308" hunting bullets that heavy, and of those few that do exist, you'd need a .300WM to match the velocity of the 7mm mag. And you'd end up with 20-30% more recoil for the same terminal performance. Plus the best softs aren't available in those weights in .308, or are only available as round noses. So really you can't duplicate the performance even with a .300WM.

But I would happily swap my 7RM for a 7WSM or 7SAUM if either was well supported.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

In a .30-06 length action, that extra .1" would be a big "don't care".

No, bullet length affects max charge in all cartridges. There is no scenario where you can substitute data for one length of bullet for another, even if they're the same weight, unless you adjust OAL accordingly. This is reloading 101, by the way.

Also, the cartridges don't have the same MAP. You can insist otherwise all you like, but you will continue to be wrong.

The point is that with a longer case and 19% more powder space, an extra .1" in bullet length isn't going to handicap a .30-06 the way you think it does a .308 Win.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.