Originally Posted by southtexas
" efficient cartridge that gets that done with the minimum rifle weight and recoil. That analysis almost always favors the factors I listed above, as well as smaller calibers with high sectional density premium bullets"

Last time I checked, being efficient involved getting the job done with minimal costs. Concluding that premium bullets are always required? Don't think that always "efficient".

Lots of ways to measure "efficiency" - depends on what the goals are.

People have killed a lot of elk with .243's, yet I've seen more elk wounded and lost after being shot with a .243 than perhaps all other cartridges combined. When a .243 works, it is very "efficient". When it doesn't, "efficiency" goes down the drain.

Who has concluded "premium bullets are always required"? Certainly not me, although certain "premium bullets" are my preference. I've often stated on this forum and elsewhere that most times most bullets will work and that with larger, heavier bullets the advantage of premiums diminishes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.