I have two .308s and recently inherited a Savage 30-06. I have gobs of 150 Interlocks and decided that was the bullet that I would start testing in the 06. It shoots them into less than 1/2 moa at 300 yards, right at 3000 fps mz velocity. My .308s shoot the same bullet at 2934 fps, so there is not a tremendous difference in the two different loads. The 06 will shine a bit more with heavy bullets, but for the average hunter (closer than 300 yards) I cannot see enough difference to argue about. You can look at ballistics etc., all day long, but real field difference is minimal unless you are going to shoot real heavy bullets.

That being said, there SHOULD be an edge for the 06. It is a longer round and uses more powder. I am not sure that is really too much of a plus and if I was going to go buy a .30 cal, it would be hard for me to buy a long-action 06, when the .308 will do a fine job in a sleeker package, with less powder burned. Unless you are a hair-splitter, the accuracy is comparable. There is no bad choice here, but since I don't shoot heavy bullets, I would prefer the .308 for most things.

For my elk hunting, I have always picked up the 7 mag, anyway, and I don't shoot targets past 530 yards, as that is how long my shooting range is. .

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.