Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Quickload demo software won't install in the Windows virtual machine on the MAC I use for business. When I get back home tomorrow (Philly, PA, and Burbank, CA, this week) I'll try it on my real Windows system.

Interested to see what it thinks a 30-06 could do at 62Kpsi so we can have an apples to apples pressure comparison with the .308 Win.

Also interested some other scenarios:

1. My .257 Roberts with +P brass and 62Kpsi loads, a 4Kpsi over SAAMI MAP. (Not that I intend to change my +P loads - they work fine as-is, good reach with low recoil.)

2. My .280 Rem at 62,000 PSI.

3. For the fun of it, the Roberts, .280 Rem and .30-06 at 63Kpsi, 64Kpsi and 65Kpsi.

I mean, since nobody uses manufacturer load data these days... wink

Within SAAMI pressure for both, .30-06 will generally exceed .308 by betwen 50-150 ft/s depending on the exact length of the bullet (stubby hunting bullets tend to be on the low end, bullets with boat tails, tips, voids, secant ogives etc. tend to be on the high end). The difference also depends a little bit on how willing you are to use a highly compressed load that might require a drop tube.

For both .308 and .30-06 you'll see performance above what's generally commercially available and .308 hand load performance with top powders will generally meet or exceed .30-06 commercial performance and .30-06 hand loads with older powders. In other words, the difference between powders like RL-17/26/33, ReloadSwiss 60 (Europe only, sadly) etc and the old IMR powders is bigger than the difference between the .308 and .30-06 cases.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Quickload demo software won't install in the Windows virtual machine on the MAC I use for business. When I get back home tomorrow (Philly, PA, and Burbank, CA, this week) I'll try it on my real Windows system.

Interested to see what it thinks a 30-06 could do at 62Kpsi so we can have an apples to apples pressure comparison with the .308 Win.

Also interested some other scenarios:

1. My .257 Roberts with +P brass and 62Kpsi loads, a 4Kpsi over SAAMI MAP. (Not that I intend to change my +P loads - they work fine as-is, good reach with low recoil.)

2. My .280 Rem at 62,000 PSI.

3. For the fun of it, the Roberts, .280 Rem and .30-06 at 63Kpsi, 64Kpsi and 65Kpsi.

I mean, since nobody uses manufacturer load data these days... wink

Within SAAMI pressure for both, .30-06 will generally exceed .308 by betwen 50-150 ft/s depending on the exact length of the bullet (stubby hunting bullets tend to be on the low end, bullets with boat tails, tips, voids, secant ogives etc. tend to be on the high end). The difference also depends a little bit on how willing you are to use a highly compressed load that might require a drop tube.

For both .308 and .30-06 you'll see performance above what's generally commercially available and .308 hand load performance with top powders will generally meet or exceed .30-06 commercial performance and .30-06 hand loads with older powders. In other words, the difference between powders like RL-17/26/33, ReloadSwiss 60 (Europe only, sadly) etc and the old IMR powders is bigger than the difference between the .308 and .30-06 cases.

WOW. after all that name calling.