Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You say you've taked most of your game with a 7mm RM and 175g loads. A .30-06/180g load comes closer to matching that than a .308 Win can do.

Neither gets particularly close to duplicating what a 7RM 175 can do. It's got a .310 sectional density. To duplicate that, a .308" requires a 206gr bullet. There are essentially no .308" hunting bullets that heavy, and of those few that do exist, you'd need a .300WM to match the velocity of the 7mm mag. And you'd end up with 20-30% more recoil for the same terminal performance. Plus the best softs aren't available in those weights in .308, or are only available as round noses. So really you can't duplicate the performance even with a .300WM.

But I would happily swap my 7RM for a 7WSM or 7SAUM if either was well supported.

Originally Posted by Armednfree
The 30-06 beats the 308 in the velocity arena across the board. It's just that the difference is small enough to be irrelevant. Real world performance is nearly identical.

If you are talking factory ammo, all bets are off. If you are talking about handloading a "modrn" version of the .30-06, which is how this discussion got started, you would have to assume a "modern" pressure equalling the .308'd 62,000psi or maybe the 270 Win's 65,000 PSI. Then the difference would be clear to all.

As it stands, nothing prevents handloders from exceeding the purely arbitrary 60,000 PSI SAAMI MAP for the .30-06.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.