Originally Posted by southtexas
"What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design"

Ok, I don't want to get dragged into this, but how is the 06 "poorly designed " relative to the 308?

The only apparent difference is a 17.5 degree shoulder vs a 20 degree? Or I guess being longer is a design flaw, too?

MAP...judicious handloaders have been working with this "poor design " for a long time, just as they have with their modern bolt actions in 7x57 and 257R.

My observation: you throw out a lot of technical jargon, which sounds impressive. But you jump to conclusions based on qualitative concepts, not quantitative data.

Have a good day. I'm perfect happy to agree to disagree.

It's not just the shoulder angle, it's also the shoulder diameter. The .308 has the same diameter as a .30-06 AI, not a .30-06. The wider, steeper shoulder reduces powder movement down the barrel, which increases efficiency.

You know, I was nice enough to actually run ballistic simulations demonstrating the concepts I was describing so that people would have hard numbers in terms of velocity and pressure. That's about as quantitative as it gets. But I understand. Y'all want to have a circle jerk over the .30-06. Facts just get in the way of that sort of thing. Carry on.