Originally Posted by JMR40
I used a 30-06 most of my life. No doubt a great cartridge, but I'd not advise a new shooter use one today. It is true that it can be pressed into service for almost anything, but it is more gun than 90% of us really need and borderline for the other 10%.

All my sons-in-law get a .30-06 as a wedding gift from me. If I could find a better cartridge for a first big game rifle, they would get that instead. But I can't.

I don't know of any other cartridge that offers the flexibility the .30-06 offers. Yes, there are perhaps better choices if you only plan to hunt small southern or coastal deer. Or only grizzly. There is a much greater variety of ammunition available for the .30-06 than there is for most other cartridges. If any cartridge can match the variety, it may be the .308 Win, but even it falls short when the yardstick is the breadth of application. For the .30-06 you have factory ammo options from 55 grain .22 Accelerator loads to full diameter loads from 100 grains to 220 grains. For the handloader, there are all kinds of other alternatives. Midwayusa lists 297 .308" bullets, 96 .264" (6.5mm) and 90 .277" bullets.

Some would argue a .308 Win will do everything .30-06 can do. Close, yes, everything, no. FWIW, I did recommend a 308 Win for Daughter #1 when it was time for her to buy her rifle.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/06/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.