Originally Posted by 458Win
Most modern, up to date, rifleman consider the 30-06 with a 4x scope a primitive weapon. Although most have never given it a fair trial.

And I'll take performance in a rifle over sexy any day.

Funny that you mention the 30-06/4x combination.

I was out hunting blacktails a few weeks ago and fell pretty hard on my rifle. There was a good range not far away and I'm a member, so I took a break to check my zero.

When I got there, I found one other user. He had two nice Weatherbys with fluted barrels, synthetic stocks, and big glass, plus a Remington 700 set up the same way. We talked for a minute and I told him that I just needed to check my POI quickly. This range has steel plates all the way out to 550 yards, so it wouldn’t take long.

I was covered with mud from the fall and packing an battered old Husqvarna 1640 with a 4x Leupold. This rifle is uglier than homemade soap, but has been bedded by one of the finest riflemakers on the West Coast, and has a trigger like a match rifle. Fancy Rifle Guy stood behind me with binos while I fired the first shot at 100 yards.

BangTink.

He calls out that I had hit the plate as if I hadn’t been able to hear it. I ignore him and shift the crosshairs to a 200 yard plate.

Bang--tink.

Still looking at the 100-yard plate, he says, “I heard that, but I didn’t see it hit.”

“No problem—I was shooting the 200-yard plate. Now I’m going to shoot the six-inch plate a 300 yards, the one that’s partially covered up with grass.”

Bang------tink.

With that, I got up and left. I think he was still standing there holding his binos and blinking when I drove away. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was using factory ammo.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.