I have a cow tag this year, in 391, and will try to find a bull too, as always. One of the guns ready to go, and the one that will get the nod if shots look to be long, is a 700 in 30-06 with 200 gr Partitions. 59 gr H4831 in Win brass with 215M shoots very well, about .8 moa, and I'll carry them this year.

I've seen them in action several times for elk and deer on both open areas and in closer timber, and they typically knock the stuffing out of things as they exit. The only exception I've seen to this typical performance was last year, on a buck about 385 yds across a canyon. Hunting partner hit him directly in the ass, two inches to the right of the "bullseye", and the bullet barely made it to the liver. We could tell it was hurt bad, and I watched the impact, after which it stumbled, got its footing, walked a few steps, then lay down in some deadfall. We got over there as fast as we could run, and it required a finisher, because it got up and started walking when we were about 20 yds away.
Buck didn't want to die. Finisher missed the spine, but put a gaping hole through the middle of his neck. We started dragging him to a spot to begin cutting, and he was still trying to move his head. We both thought the 200 Pt would have traversed his body, but found the bullet had only gone 16 to 18 inches.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.