Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I can remember when I moved to Alaska in the mid 90’s, I knew nothing about hunting the big critters of Alaska. My first quest was the elusive moose. I started talking to some guys that I had met and was picking their brains about how to go about killing a bull. Most told me my chances were slim of being successful, I was like that’s cool I’ll accept the challenge. Then they started asking me what I was hunting with and I said a 30-06, I was then schooled with the idea that I didn’t have enough gun. I was told I needed a 300 WM minimum and that a 338WM or 375 H&H would be optimum. I didn’t have much money back then and the 30-06 was going to have to do. Fast forward to my first hunt and after 5 days of seeing no bulls I glass across this valley and I see two big white circles, I’m thinking what the heck are those and then I see the circles move, I’m like holy crap that’s a bull and a really big one.hes like a half mile away. So I proceed to run down this valley and up the other side. As I’m creeping through the spruce and it starts thinning I knew he was bedded just above Tree line. All of a sudden I see movement, the Bull appears just past the last small spruce tree. He’s no more than 40 yards from me chewing his cud and has no clue I’m in the planet. His rack was massive! I steady for the shot and the comments about not having enough gun start racing through my head, I’m like oh well we’ll see. Needless to say the bull was kilt without incident. I’ve killed a bunch of stuff with an 06 from bears to moose, and IMO it has no flaws!

Bull

Damn nice bull for sure. But good thing is wasn't wearing kevlar like they do now.

Next think you know someone will post pictures of killing a moose or elk with a .30-30. But we all know that can't be done... wink