texas is hilarious generally when it comes to hunting. most people think they are huge hunters. YES I know quite a few animals get killed there by hunters. but generally speaking this is done by very few of the general populace. The area I lived didn't have any deer, why you ask? the reason is if a deer did show itself it would have been shot, wouldn't have mattered if it was in the middle of june, may whenever. there simply was not deer because they had all been killed. by the same token hogs were a problem in some areas. I have to laugh if hogs were anywhere in a public land state they wouldn't last long. seems counter intuitive that game are so much more easily managed on public land, both preserved or eradicated, whereas with no public land like you have in texas it seems like you get neither.

texas does have a huge thing going for it and when I go back to visit I am reminded why Texas always has an independent spirit to it. The reason is the small towns, it very common to have property and land there be it 5-10 acres with a house or whatever. This more spread out situation makes people more independent because they rightly realize look I simply don't need that much from the government. If need be our town can secure itself. I could drill a well for water. So many areas could simply go back in time 120 years and still manage to make it. This makes a keep the government off my back mentality. I greatly miss that. I live in the heart of the west with public land everywhere the problem this creates is it clusters the population, the more densley populated an area becomes the more liberal and less freedom the government becomes.

still being able to drive an hour in any direction, shoot guns, ride ATV's shoot jackrabbits, camp, do what I want. I would never trade that to move back to texas, but hey at least you guys have Whataburger