Originally Posted by jaguartx
In the woods of east Texas deer, particularly bucks past 2 years old, usually circle around downwind in the thickets at 80-200 yards and they dont come in to the feeder if a human is around.

I thought i would be smart and climbed up on a ranchers hopper filled with range cubes for his cattle with my bow. At times some would spill when used and the deer would come clean up the spillage.

Wind was from the south and about 5pm a doe and her fawns came into the pasture 250 yards to the north, walked 50 yds out into the trap pasture until getting straight down wind, snortec and hauled ass from whence they came, taking any bucks with her that waited back in the brush across the fence that was 50 yards to the east of me.

In most places that are hunted significantly you cant put up a portable blind, put out feed and get a deer to come in for a shot with a bow as the deer circle downwind first.

On big ranches or in Mexico with very restricted hunting one may put up a blind and feed by it for many months and the deer arent so smart and will walk straight in.

A couple of thoughts in this regard.

When I get busted, its usually an older doe. As you said she will snort, blow and stamp her front legs, and then that's all she wrote.

Try bow hunting in a tripod where you are 12' eyeheight in October and you are wearing a bug suit or leafy wear and its 95 to 105 degrees at 6pm in the afternoon and sweat is running into your eyes and dripping down onto the tripod, and you are 17 yds. from the feeder. You get busted most every time before a deer gets within bowshot range, which for me is 33 yds. max for deer and 45 yds for hogs.

At 67 I've turned into a wuss. Give me an elevated blind 100 to 300 yds. away. The odds are much more in my favor!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.