Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Rock arrow points? cool

I most certainly would if I hunted in states that allow them.

I have an excellent source of obsidian in this area, matter of fact there's a big chunk sitting on the wooden border of the flower bed for decoration. Obsidian mines within a few miles of here. I'm sure a man of you profession knows how sharp an obsidian shard can be. wink

My stick bow is a commercial one too, but about as light as one can find and nearly as simple as an osage or yew bow.

Geno

PS, but I'm not a snob.....................I own and hunt with a firearm too............smokeless powder even. grin

Question. In my state, the size of the razerhead is regulated, but I know of no material requirements. Is there some reason why you could NOT use obsidian if you chose to use that method?

Well, thanks for the memory jog. I moved back to Cali permanently a couple of summers ago (2017) and haven't archery hunted here yet, so haven't looked closely at those regs, or at the regs for WA where I was a resident for a few years. Shoulder surgeries kept me from practicing/hunting so I wasn't interested except in the firearms sections.

Seems in Cali the regs call for a minimum 7/8" blade (cannot pass through a 7/8" hole) and mechanical heads are legal and measured in the open position. Seems when I was last a resident here (1999) I recall there was a restriction to "metal" heads.

Washington requires a "sharp" broadhead, again 7/8" minimum.

Now I have to research AZ too, as I hunt there at times. Mostly firearm, but now that my shoulders are better I may take advantage of archery seasons again. Those tags are still hard to draw given the number of modern archery equipment hunters nowadays.

Maybe I break out some palm leather, an antler point, and some eye protection and make me some points this summer. I've got some sinew stashed somewhere in the archery supplies too. This could be fun!

Geno

Yes, it could be. I went primitive once before to see how primitive I could go, and still get meat.
These are Ohio regs:
"Archery Season
Longbow: Minimum draw weight 40 pounds. This includes compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tip needs a minimum of two cutting edges, which may be exposed or unexposed and a minimum 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal.

Crossbow: Minimum draw weight 75 pounds. The arrow tip needs a minimum of two cutting edges, which may be exposed or unexposed and a minimum 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal."

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~