Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I have a serious question. If you have paid for your lease and gone through all the trouble of setting up feeders and blinds, buying corn, clearing shooting lanes, etc how can the landowner revoke your lease just before deer season opens? Isn’t the “lease” a binding contract with a beginning and ending date? It seems to me that if a guy wanted to he could lease his land all year, collect the payments, reap the benefits of everyone else’s hard work and then revoke the lease just prior to the opening of deer season. I’d think that a smart and bullet proof lease would be written in such a way as to guarantee that the lease included access to the property THROUGH deer season and failure to abide by the terms of the lease would be grounds for the cost of the lease to be fully refunded to the guy leasing the property, otherwise it sounds like a month to month contract that needs to be paid in full ahead of time. All the benefits going to the landowner while screwing the guy leasing it. If the property is sold and the “lease” voided then a full refund should be given. Same thing if the brother in law or father or crazy uncle suddenly decides they don’t want to lease it anymore it seems that the contract in place remains in force. I understand that outside of deer season a guy might have access to hunt hogs and varmits on his lease but that is mostly a benefit to the landowner and doesn’t negate his contractual obligation to allow access to the property for deer hunting if it is in fact a “deer lease”. My question does NOT apply to the renewal of a lease at or after its expiration and I understand that every lease can be stipulated differently but hearing so many guys say they lost their deer lease a week before the season opener just seems wrong. Thanks. 👍

You may be referring to my situation. My partners and I had to get everything off by October 26, IIRC. It wasn't dirty dealings or anything like that, the owner had been trying to sell the land for several years and we all knew it could happen but did not believe the land would sell considering the asking price at the time. It just worked out that the land sold and the new owners took possession about a week before the season began. The former land owner even refunded all our money for that leasing period. So, we didn't get screwed over, but it was a definite bummer.

On the other hand, there are unscrupulous guys out there who WILL screw over a lessee. The best way to avoid them is via networking.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.