Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by kellory
Pigs are far and few between here, but we have a few. I haven't caught any yet, but I did build a portable rotisserie, and these anchors to tether my 'yote traps. Might work for pigs. These anchors I make, will not pull out with #300 pull straight up, when sunk 1' deep. Should hold more when pulling sideways.
I used a #300 game scale to test, and maxed it out before retrieving my anchor with a comealong.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13653581#Post13653581

Last year I had a couple guys join me at my lease. I had set a bunch of snares before they got there. Next morning we went on ATVs to run the snares. I think it was the 3rd one down the line that the 1/8" aircraft cable of the snare was busted. Whatever was in the snare was able to worry the cable till it severed or by brute force busted it. One of the guys asked me if I was going to track it. I told him that if whatever had got caught in that snare was able to bust it, I wanted no part of tracking it in that scrum where you can't see a foot in front of you. Been there done that.......
no thanks!

ya!

GWB

1/8" cable has a breaking strength of 2000lbs. Must have a abraded it on a rock or something. It takes a lot to break cable, but it does metal fatigue.

What the hey!

I don't recall if it was a new or used snare. Could have been abraded before the last snag or abraded during the current snag. Rocks aplenty at that location. I do know that there was no snare there. The snare end was gone. I've snared some big pigs that did not escape with the snare. I've been involved with hunting, snaring and trapping hogs since 1961. In my old age, I have a tendency to let the bad boyz. go. Ya! GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.