Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by smokepole
GW, who's the guy with the sombrero, he's hard to get a good look at?

I can tell you he's not a great sheep hunter, nor great elk hunter, nor even a great mule deer hunter.......

He must be one handsome sumbitch, on account of he's always hidin' from the papparazzi. You reckon he's a Kardashian??

As best as I can tell,............

Geedub tends to be passive aggressive. How often in the last 10 years he has been here has he had an open conflict with any member other than Steelhead.

So, here goes.

Quite often, on TV, and in magazines (which I quit watching/subscribing to years ago) you see guys that go on fabulous hunts and kill magnificent trophy critters. From my experience, many of these are not what I would consider a legit hunts.

I know many folk decry the way we hunt in Texas, but there are only two critters out of the 40 or so mounts that I have on my wall, or on the floor in the case of a bear rug, that I did not take DIY. I have the knowledge that I earned all of those critters solely by my own efforts.

I have no problem with how anyone hunts, high fence, in Africa over a water-hole where animals must come to drink the water of life, or elk/bear/moose/sheep/mule deer hunts where guides have scouted the areas for weeks and months, know where the critters are located and bring the client to that area for a shot. I am not jealous of a hunters ability, desire, or good fortune to be able to hunt said critters.

What bugs me as a person who takes thousands of images, is that invariably the trophy hunter will pose any distance behind the trophy-critter they have just "harvested" vs. killed, and due to the camera angle the antlers/horns or some other feature will appear to be grossly exaggerated.

So, perhaps this is too much inside baseball, but it is my own private beef. That is like misrepresentation. Setting up a photo to give a false perception. To me it's akin to lying.

So, years ago I started taking photos where I was either beside the critter I'd "killed" or in front of it. I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter. Out of the hundreds of critters I've killed, I've never personally "scored" a single one. Hunting is literally called out of me, and I go afield as often as possible. You've heard the statement "pix or it did not happen". I found early on that pix were a way to establish my bona fides. They also are a lasting way to savor hunts from days gone by.

Hiding behind the Sunbody "Gus" was just an added way to passively aggressively protest misrespresented "hero shots".

Besides, if I was young and studly.............

who wants to see a short fat bald old fart.!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.